Byron Stripling, artistic director and conductor for the Columbus Jazz Orchestra, began playing trumpet at the early age of ten. Born in Atlanta, he was the son of a classical singer, and always around music.
“I heard gospel music in church early on. In our house, music was essential to everything. My father loved jazz including Miles Davis, Clark Terry and Louis Armstrong. My brother played clarinet and sax and I played trumpet. I did a lot of singing from the start because, when your father is the choir director, you have to sing whatever he needs each Sunday.”
Stripling has refined his musical talent to become a vocal performer and spectacular trumpeter with a broad range and the innate ability to blend different musical styles together to create something that is truly his own. His infectious charm and charisma when performing keep audiences enraptured and coming back for more.
In 2002, Stripling was named the artistic director and conductor for the Columbus Jazz Orchestra. He has drawn in famous names in jazz like Wycliffe Gordon, Branford Marsalis, Trombone Shorty, and Chuck Mangione, but Stripling himself remains one of the most exciting highlights of the orchestra’s events. An extroverted performer, Stripling brings remarkable musicianship along with a joyous spirit in every performance.
This season marks the tenth anniversary of Stripling’s remarkable reign at the Columbus Jazz Orchestra. To celebrate the occasion, the Jazz Arts Group would like to invite you to join the party by attending our upcoming events, held in the honor of a great musician.
- After-show drinks with Byron at select shows – $50 each (limit 4)
- Holiday lunch (11/29) with Byron and special guest Helen Welch – $75 each (limit 8 )
- “Learnin’ the Blues with Byron” workshop (12/28) at theJazzAcademy– $109 each (limit 20)
- Open CJO rehearsals at the Lincoln and Southern Theatres – $40 each (limit 6 per rehearsal)
- Coffee chat (2/7) with Byron & Alexis Stripling – $25 each (limit 18)
- CJO CD producers’ club (different levels available)
And much more..
Call or email Elizabeth Jewell, Director of Donor Stewardship, at 614-294-5200 x 102 or email@example.com for information on how to participate.