This summer, the Jazz Arts Group will take jazz to a wilder place as the Columbus Jazz Orchestra takes center stage at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium for the eighth season of JazZoo!
The four-concert series returns to the Water’s Edge Events Park at the Columbus Zoo providing a beautiful waterfront setting along the O’Shaughnessy Reservoir. Gates open at 6:30 PM with concerts beginning at 8 PM.
- · July 12, 8 PM: “Soul Classics” featuring Chris Pierce
Special opening performance by the Jazz Academy’s Columbus Community Big Band camp
Join Byron Stripling and the Columbus Jazz Orchestra at Water’s Edge Events Park for a JazZoo! season kick-off of soul classics! Making his return to Columbus is Los Angeles-based soul/R&B artist Chris Pierce to help salute the legendary figures of soul including Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Solomon Burke and many more!
- · July 19, 8 PM: “Come Together Live” featuring Jonathan Elliott (The Floorwalkers) & Nia Allen
Special performance by 2013 Hank Marr High School Jazz Award Winner
Monkey fingers and walrus gumboots alike will “Come Together” at the zoo as the CJO recreates its latest album live from start to finish! Guest vocalists Jonathan Elliott (The Floorwalkers) and Nia Allen lend their extraordinary vocal talents to rekindle the studio magic on this beautiful lakefront setting.
- · August 2, 8 PM: “Sinatra, Our Way” featuring Dwight Lenox & Phil Clark (HooDoo Soul Band)
The CJO will fly you to the moon as they pay tribute to the Chairman of the Board in this timeless set under the stars. The rich tenor voice of Dwight Lenox and raw vocal talent of Phil Clark (HooDoo Soul Band) will serenade the night with the toe-tappin’ sounds of classic jazz, done our way!
- · August 16, 8 PM: “Blues at the Zoo” featuring Sean Carney
Special opening performance by Winchester Steel Co. (Canal Winchester High School)
International Blues Challenge (IBC) winner and Albert King Best Guitarist Award-winner Sean Carney joins the CJO for “Blues at the Zoo.” Don’t miss this final night of JazZoo! where jazz meets its close cousin for a blues-rockin’ good time!
Ticket prices (includes zoo admission and concert, parking is $8 per car for all but zoo members):
- Adult single: $29 (advance)/$35 (day of)
- Adult single: $27 (advance)/$30 (day of) for CJO subscribers/Columbus Zoo members
- Student single: $15 with ID
- Adult concert series: $89 per person (through June 14)
- Adult concert series: $99 per person (after June 14)
- Single concert corporate table of 8: $350 (does not include food)
- Concert series corporate table of 8: $1,200 (does not include food)
Single concert tickets and full series tickets can be purchased from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium via phone at 614.724.3485 or online at www.columbuszoo.org. Single concert tables and full series tables can be reserved through the Jazz Arts Group at 614.294.5200 x 110. Advance catering options are also available.