The Top is a legendary Columbus steak house, “a true mid-century throwback that’s been virtually unchanged since the doors opened in 1955.” Located on the East Side of Columbus between Bexley and Whitehall, the 1950s-style supper club is well-known for its steaks, martinis, and nightly live piano music – see the full schedule here. The Top presents jazzy piano showman Dave Powers on Mondays at 6pm (except when Powers is otherwise engaged, check our Columbus Jazz Calendar for updates).
The story of The Top from the restaurant’s website:
The Top Steak House, a 1950s supper club-style fine dining restaurant, opened its doors in April of 1955. The Top was originally owned and operated by Lee Henry and Bill Sapp, well-known Columbus restaurateurs who also owned the legendary Polynesian palace The Kahiki as well as beloved hot spot The Wine Cellar.
Thanks to nightly live piano music, excellent cuisine and above-and-beyond service, The Top quickly earned a reputation as “the place to be”—especially as a local hangout for politicians. In fact, to accommodate the growing clientele, owners installed phone jacks at every table so politicians could make and receive important business calls.
The Top is still locally owned and operated. During 60 years in business, the steakhouse has been through only three ownerships. The current incarnation is run by Regina Adkins and her husband Denver Adkins, who also serves as chef. Co-owners are Regina’s mother and stepfather, Joyce and Craig Hoover, and her sister and brother-in-law Emily and Matt Schoedinger. The Bexley family purchased The Top in 2006. Our house pianist Sonia Modes has played almost nightly since 1965. “There isn’t much difference,” she says. “Playing the piano last night was just like it was in 1965.”